The Business Wire Seattle office held a social media event in Portland, OR at The Governor Hotel on November 19. The event was entitled, “Social Media: Your Questions Answered.” Led by moderator, Hallie Janssen of Anvil Media, the panel addressed multiple questions from an audience at all levels of social media knowledge. A show of hands showed half the audience considered themselves well-versed in social media and half considered themselves beginners. Twitter was the most talked about and asked about aspect of social media.
- Carri Bugbee, Owner, Big Deal PR, Inc.
- Marshall Kirkpatrick, VP of Content Development and Lead Blogger, ReadWriteWeb
- Imelda Khoo, E-Marketing Manager, Tektronix
Here are a few key takeaways from the discussion:
Getting Started With Social Media
- Register your name, brand, and/or product name on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn. (If you don’t, someone else will.)
- Get a Google profile.
- Read Twitter 101 for Business, Del.icio.us, Mashable, ReadWriteWeb, etc.
- Look at what other people are doing; find blogs about topics you’re interested in and start searching for topics on Twitter.
Monitoring & Measurement
- Make use of Twitter search & trend-tracking tools like Waggener Edstrom’s free Twendz tool.
- Try Google’s new real-time search
- At the end of the day, must be able to show ROI. Set measurable metrics before you start.
- There are soft metrics like awareness and building relationships, which are important. Approach it by asking “Are we helping people?”
Building a Following on Twitter
- Follow people with similar interests.
- Make use of keywords important to your audience.
- Re-tweet and share content. It’s a “scratch my back, I’ll scratch yours” kind of thing.
- Make lists and reach out.
Local Business Wire offices host several events each year on PR, IR, SEO & media topics. Check out the Business Wire Events page to find upcoming events in your area.
Follow Business Wire events on Twitter! Hash tag #bwevents