By Serena Ehrlich, Director of Social & Emerging Platforms
Let’s face it; there is nothing better than working the last two weeks of the year. Oh you may think it is better to be with friends and family or battling mall crowds or lines at the airport, but in reality, those of us working this week are enjoying shorter commuting times, phones not ringing and a few spare minutes to catch up on the latest industry news and trends.
As we in the Business Wire marketing team catch up on our reading, we compiled this list of posts to catch you up on the best of 2013 and prepare you for a productive and successful 2014.
Top Gaffes for 2013 (after all, you don’t want to end up on this list next year!)
- 2013′s biggest media stories (and screw-ups) from Politico
- The best and worst media errors and corrections from 2013 (Poynter)
- A look at DigiDay’s 15 ways publishing lost self-respect in 2013
- Don’t commit these blogger outreach atrocities
- Top social media errors for 2013 in an easy to read and share infographic
2013 Industry Changes + Best Practices
- How Google Hummingbird affects PR ROI
- For our Investor Relations clients, many of you faced the task of finding a new Investor Relations website host. Here is our guide to switch your IR site in six easy steps.
- Thinking Twitter is perfect for your disclosure news? Think again. Understanding why social networks should not be used to meet Regulation FD.
- Understanding Facebook as it moves towards a pay for play platform.
- Even Pinterest is getting into the news game!
- Everyone is talking about Reddit! Why? What is Reddit and why do PR Pros care? (A long read but worth it!)
- Don’t forget G+! This great infographic showcases why and how today’s businesses can drive engagement on G+
- Mobile is the top information-sharing tool for 2014. Are you ready?
Looking ahead: Top Tips and Predictions to Prepare You for 2014
- Become a better writer in 2014: Strike these 11 words from your next press releases!
- Are you making these press release errors? Stop now!
- New at all of this? Brush up with this short guide on how to write a press release
- Why is Facebook blue? The science behind colors in marketing.
- Are you creating influencer programs? Check out how much it is going to cost you to work with influencers in 2014.
- Everything today’s PR Pros need to know about SEO and Social Media.
- Everything you need to know about measurement and monitoring.
- Have a limited number of assets for your PR campaign? Here are six ways to mix and match social networks to increase ROI.
- Cheat Sheet: How to size images for every social platform.
- We love these 2014 digital marketing trends from Filemobile, Lewis PR and Forbes that every PR person should know.
- Understanding digital content in 2014.
- 2014 Social media trends to watch from one of our favorite sites, LifeHacker!
- Looking to expand your knowledge base? Here are the top marketing conferences for 2014.
And just for fun, a hat tip to Buzzfeed for this scarily accurate look at Isaac Asimov and his 1964 predictions for 2014.